Frequently Ask Questions
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) supports people with disabilities to help build skills and capability so they can participate in the community and employment.
Moreover, funding is offered to participants based on their disability and their goals. The NDIS will only fund supports that are considered “reasonable and necessary,” so it’s important to spend some time setting your goals ahead of your NDIS Plan meeting to ensure you qualify for the supports you need.
As a registered NDIS provider, Fit Your Ability can provide Capacity Building supports like tailored ‘Personal Training’ and ‘Innovative Community Participation’ services to eligible NDIS participants with approved funding under the ‘Improved Health & Wellbeing’ and ‘Increase Community Participation’ support categories.
Moreover, we are delighted to say we are also registered to seven-line items of the ‘Core supports’ of NDIS. This means apart from fitness through personal training, we can also help you or your loved ones in more areas of life. See the complete list of our services here.
If you are a Plan or Self-Managed Participant, we may be able to use a variety of other line items to help you with your health and wellness goals; just let us know what you need, and we’ll let you know how we can help.
You’re most likely to need Personal Training services as part of your NDIS Plan if:
- Your goals relate to moving more independently, building strength, participating in community sports or improving fitness.
- You are at risk of developing or have an existing condition that impairs physical movement.
- Your disability makes it hard to maintain good health or a healthy weight.
- You need assistance and support to improve balance and muscle strength for functional movement.
Our Personal Trainers have their Certificate 3 and 4 in Fitness which allows them to design, provide and supervise exercise programs for clients in good health. On the other hand, high-risk clients can work under the guidance of allied health professionals such as an Exercise Physiologist, Physiotherapist, or General Practitioner.
Our Personal Trainers can support you with:
- Goal-focused one-on-one fitness sessions.
- General fitness and strength training in a small group setting
- Participating in other sport, recreation and leisure activities.
Our Personal Trainers can help you develop health, wellness, and fitness through various methods towards a variety of different goals you might have. These can include:
- Manage body weight/ Lose weight
- Increase muscle tone/ strength
- Increase self-esteem and self-confidence
- Improve balance and coordination
- Increase cardiovascular capacity and stamina
- Improve sleeping patterns
- Improve sports performance
- Get involved in community
- Increase capacity to live independently
- Improve mobility/ flexibility
- Improve skills for sports and recreational activities
All our trainers are fully qualified and insured and have completed their NDIS training. Whilst our Trainers are not disability specialists, they are all knowledgeable and experienced with a wide variety of special needs. We work closely with you to complete detailed pre-exercise screening and goal-setting paperwork to help us understand exactly what best suits your needs.
Based on this information, we tailor our sessions to suit your exact goals and specifications. Every exercise can be progressed or regressed in a variety of ways. The environment where you train is modified to suit your needs. If you prefer indoors, outdoors, low light, quiet music, just ask, and we can make it happen. Our Trainers are experts at getting creative with exercises, equipment, and space to provide the variety to keep you engaged and the right variation to suit every ability.
Unfortunately, the NDIS won’t usually pay for Gym memberships, but Personal Training is covered for eligible participants. Our Personal Trainers work closely with the NDIA, and we understand that physical activity is important for everyone regardless of their limitations.
We offer “recreation,” which can encompass a wide variety of fun and active hobbies or activities depending on your ability and goals. Some of the things our Trainers can do include take you for a hike, a bike ride, shoot basketball hoops, kick around a soccer ball, play tennis, go bowling, and more.
In addition, all our staff are ready to help you in whatever other ways you need with our disability support workers who are passionate about health and wellness.
Whether you need someone to help you go for a walk, swim, get to the shops, make your meals, tidying up around the house, or just have a cuppa and chat, Fit Your Ability can help you.